After you’ve nailed down the location that works best for you, the second decision you’ll make is what to wear. If the background is 50% of the picture, clothing is 30%. Choosing coordinating clothing for groups can make the difference between an image that looks like it belongs in a time capsule, and one made for Instagram.
There are a few different routes you could take.
1. Modern (most popular): Choose a few colors that coordinate but don’t necessarily match. There are often several colors of different shades that blend together.
2. Traditional: Everyone matches with one or two colors.
3. Three Colors: This is best for a large group. Name 3 colors and tell everyone to show up wearing those colors (and no others!).
4. Two Groups: This is another option for a larger group. You could have the girls wear one color scheme and the boys another, or you could have the children dress in one way and adults in another.
5. Nude/Neutral: This option is best for babies since it draws the attention toward the baby and not to everything else.
After you’ve been inspired with a color scheme, be sure to take note of what sleeve length you might want to choose to flatter your body type.